.

.

3) My exterior Sikh form turned out to be my greatest asset

Such incidents occur frequently as I walk in the busy avenues, visit offices, libraries or even the crowded departmental stores in the course of my ordinary business of life. I have been in Athens for the last eleven months or so, on a Greek government scholarship for doctoral research. My topic of research is 'Tourism and Greek Balance of Payments'. I have to visit libraries and offices to collect data and information.

My professors, two specimens of the finest among Greeks, had told me, rather warned me, that to collect statistics in this field would be the most difficult task in Greece, not only because of the language problem but also because research traditions of ancient Greece are not somehow grounded in the grassroots of modern public and private offices. It was indeed a pleasant surprise that my exterior Sikh form turned out to be my greatest asset. The moment I enter any office, the receptionists noticing my turban and beard seem interested in me. It is easy to get to the person concerned. Here again I am asked first of all, to explain my religion, my religious beliefs, the state of politics and economy in India and so on. The discussion makes the person friendly and my formal work proceeds more smoothly.

Thirst for knowledge is an age-old tradition with the Greek people. The distance of India from Greece running into thousands of miles and its ancient culture and civilization lend more charm. My religion and its form prompts them to know more.

No comments: