.

.

9) Unshorn hair is much more than a dress or a symbol

Of course, in the course of an actual discussion, one has to be bold, forthright and without any sense of inferiority. A lady asked me at a shop, "Why do you keep hair? It must be too
hot with them during summer, especially in India."

I said, "Why don't you replace your skirt with mini-shorts as young girls do in America? Athens is surely hotter than New York!" She thought for a few moments and then said "Why should I remove my skirt? It is a part of my dress. And it is my national custom. And I do
not feel as 'hot' as Americans do".

Calmly, I replied, "My dear sister, if you have the rightful claim to keep a part of your dress, have I not to keep a part of my being? And I do not keep hair, they are there! Just as my eyes and nose. If you do not feel 'too hot' to cast off a part of your traditional dress, why should you expect me to feel "too hot" to remove a part of my body merely because others have removed this part for fashion or convenience or may be without any understanding.

It is an exclusive outer sign of my religion. In case you have the time and patience to study, you shall know that unshorn hair is much more than a dress or a symbol."

The other aspect of the 'problem' is the practical difficulty of finding a job or adjusting to the environment of law and common regulations in a land where ignorance may be on the other side. This is a situation where perseverance is tested. But I faithfully believe that
after the initial testing period, the Guru with His divine grace sees us through.

No comments: